Due to the ongoing pandemic, and to help keep you and our colleagues safe we’re following national guidance and minimising face to face contacts. We will continue to support you through video consultation, telephone consultations and virtual clinics and we’ll see you face to face where this is safe, and the most appropriate way to support you in line with the national guidance.

Main navigation

Speech & Language Therapy

Adult Speech and Language Therapy Services provide assessment, advice, information and support for adults and their families or carers, who have difficulties with communication (speech, language or voice) and/or swallowing.

St. Martin’s Hospital, Clara Cross Lane, Bath BA2 5RP
t: 01225 831 500

More about us

Our Speech and Language Therapists are experts in assessing and treating adults with a wide range of communication and swallowing difficulties.

People with the following conditions may have communication or swallowing difficulties and often benefit from being assessed by a Speech and Language Therapist:

  • Stroke
  • Parkinson’s Disease
  • Dementia
  • Voice disorders
  • Head and neck cancer
  • Communication and swallowing difficulties associated with ageing
  • Motor Neurone Disease
  • Multiple Sclerosis
  • Head injury, plus others

How does the service work and who will I see?

Speech and Language Therapists (SLT) and SLT Assistants within the Community Adult SLT service work across a number of teams and services:

  • Inpatient rehabilitation services – Sulis ward at St Martin’s Hospital (Main: 01225 831521), SLT answerphone: 01225 831616) and Paulton Hospital (all communication via the previous telephone numbers)
  • General Outpatient and Reablement Services (Main: 01225 837581)
  • Parkinson’s and Related Conditions, Clara Cross Centre, St Martin’s Hospital (Main: 01225 831518)
  • Community Neuro and Stroke Service (Main: 01225 831544)
  • Complex Health Needs Service (Main: 01225 831566)

The Acute inpatient service, Voice service and Head and Neck Cancer service are provided via the Royal United Hospital Foundation Trust, Bath.

View advice sheets.

Referral information

You can refer yourself to Speech and Language Therapy for any difficulty with your speech or language. This can be done by telephone or letter.

For a difficulty with your swallowing, a referral would need to come from:

  • Your GP or medical consultant
  • A health and social care professional, such as your Physiotherapist or social worker

If you have concerns regarding your voice, please speak to your GP regarding a referral to the Ear Nose and Throat service at the RUH. You cannot be seen by Speech and Language Therapist without this consultation.