Main navigation

Advice and Referrals

We offer a telephone advice line for queries relating to children and young people which operates between 1.00 pm and 4.00 pm on Wednesdays during term time. Any parent, carer, young person, or professional can ring this advice line to discuss any concerns about speech or language development: Telephone: 01225 831752.

We have an open referral system so that parents, carers, and young people can contact us directly to make a referral. We also accept referrals from other people (e.g. Health Visitors, school staff, GPs) but only if consent has been obtained from the parent/carer or, where appropriate, from the young person themselves.

Please Note: if the child you are concerned about is under 3 years old, please discuss this referral with their Health Visitor, first. We may still be able to see the child for assessment; however, they will need to have had additional input from the Health Visiting team or Children’s Centre.

If you would like to make a referral, please contact us on our advice phone line or email:

Everyone accepted for referral to our service is entitled to an individual speech and language assessment. This may be via a telephone, video or, where and when appropriate, a face to face consultation. Following this assessment, the therapist will provide feedback and advice (usually in the form of a written report) about the child/young person’s speech, language and communication skills.

Families and/or the young person can expect to be fully involved in any decisions about what, if any, further action should be taken. We have a number of care pathways, which describe the speech and language support the family can expect, depending on the child’s/young person’s individual needs.