Community Children’s Learning Disability Nursing Service
This is our local offer.
Our Children’s Learning Disability Service provides assistance to children and young people with learning disabilities.
St. Martin’s Hospital, Clara Cross Lane, Bath BA2 5RP
t: 01225 831 721
More about us
This service is for children and young people up to the age of 19 with moderate to severe learning disabilities who have registered with a GP in the Bath and North East Somerset area.
We offer assessment, support and advice in relation to:
- Assessment, treatment, support and advice to children and young people who have moderate to severe learning disabilities
- Support for parents and other carers on a variety of physical, emotional and behavioural health issues
- Specialist sleep advice
- Support and advice to children, young people and their parents and carers
- Selective eating
- Access to health care
- Emotional and psychological health
- Physical interventions
- Sexual health
- Anxiety and anger management
- Personal hygiene
- Risk assessment
- Positive behaviour support
- Promotion of continence
- Eating and drinking
- Transition planning (moving to adult services)
- Development of skills
- Accessing and using community services and facilities
- Training for parents and services
How do I access this service?
Referrals can be made by your health or social care professional.
Parents and carers are welcome to contact the service to discuss a possible referral or to make an enquiry. Please use the contact details at the top of this page.
In what areas is this service available?
We currently offer this service to children and families who are registered with a GP in the Bath & North East Somerset area. Your home address may not be in this area and your child may not attend school or nursery in this area, but providing your GP is registered in B&NES you may still be eligible for this service.
Who can refer?
Parents/carers can refer to us directly by phone. Professionals can make a referral to us by completing a Single Point of Entry form (SPE) and sending to the address on the form.
Who is eligible?
- Any child/young person registered with a B&NES GP AND attending Three Ways or Fosse Way School or specialist nursery provision
- Any child/young person registered with a B&NES GP AND attending a mainstream school if they have a moderate/severe learning disability. As a rough guide, this means that a child is functioning at about half their chronological age.
If you live outside the B&NES area, your child may still be able to receive our service providing they are registered with a B&NES GP and meet either of the criteria above.
If you are unsure if a child is eligible please do contact us for a discussion.
You can access information on what services children, young people and their families can expect from a range of local agencies – including education, health and social care providers and voluntary organisations using the Bath and North East Somerset Local Offer website – the Rainbow Resource.