Children’s weight management
The Children’s Weight Management (CWM) service helps overweight and obese children, young people and their families to reach and maintain a healthier weight.
The service is provided by Virgin Care services Public Health Nurses and the Health Improvement Service working collaboratively with children and young people and their families to achieve child and family centred goals. The programme has been specifically designed to provide age appropriate messages, activities and behavioural change strategies that will benefit the whole family.
The service provides age specific programmes for families with children aged between 0 to 19 years old. The services is accessible to children, young people and their families living in Bath and North East Somerset or attending maintained school in BaNES.
To make a referral or for more information please contact: The Health & Wellbeing Hub 0300 247 0203 (Option 1).
CHILD WEIGHT MANAGEMENT AGES 5-10 YEARS
- Learn Eat, and Play– 6 weekly family sessions with a focus on a goal setting approach to make healthy lifestyle changes. Each session we deliver will have a focus around fun and learning through play whilst also focusing on interactive educational activities to help enable families to make positive changes.
- Height, weight and waist circumference taken in week 1, week 6 and at a 6 month follow up session.
- Topics covered include: Food choices and getting active, Portion sizes, Healthy swaps and reducing added sugar intake. There is a chance for families to take part in a cooking session to make some healthy snacks and try new foods.
CHILD WEIGHT MANAGEMENT AGES 10-17 YEARS 1-1 & family sessions
5 week cookery course for families with children under 17 during which families learn to cook healthy, balanced and budget friendly meals. Run across BANES at schools and community venues regularly. Focusing on offering families the chance to learn new kitchen skills, gain new healthy recipe inspiration and to spend time as a family working together to create home cooked meals. Recipes include- curry and homemade flatbreads, sweet and sour stir fries, homemade chicken nuggets, healthy mini pizzas and no added sugar banana and cinnamon muffins.
HENRY – Healthy Start, Brighter Future is a FREE programme for parents or carers of children aged 0-5 years.
The HENRY programme is running across Bath & N E Somerset in Childrens centres and is a nationwide, evidence based, childhood obesity prevention intervention which brings parents together for support and ideas. Research shows that the key ingredients to ensuring babies and young children have a healthy start in life are:
- Parenting confidence
- Physical activity for little ones
- What children and families eat
- Family lifestyle habits
- Enjoying life as a family
The programme covers these 5 themes across 9 weeks. Each week starts with family time and a free childrens group is provided .
What do other families say about it ?
97% of families would recommend it
89% feel more confident as a parent
To make a referral or for more information please contact: The Community Wellbeing Hub 0300 247 0050