The Clinical Psychology team work alongside the nursing team to support the emotional and psychological wellbeing of families who are using the Children’s Community Nursing service.
The service supports the children themselves, their siblings and any member of the family who is involved in caring for the child. The psychology service will be offered to families using the Children’s Community Nursing & Psychology service at times when they are experiencing psychological difficulties relating to the child’s health condition.
More about us
The kinds of work we might get involved in are:
Helping young people and their families:
- To come to terms with diagnosis and the future
- With relationships and talking about difficult issues with each other, and people outside the family
- To manage difficult treatments
- To manage psychological difficulties such as anxiety, trauma, depression or other difficult thoughts, feelings and behaviours
- To help make decisions about now or the future in relation to a child’s health condition
- Through group support e.g. sibling group
- To work with other professional networks such as school or hospitals to improve quality of life and care for a child /family
- To manage loss and bereavement
How do I access this service?
Referrals to Psychology cannot be made unless a child is receiving a service from the Children’s Community Nursing team. Referrals can be made via the community nursing named nurse. See referral link on overview for further information about criteria for referral.
You can access information on what services children, young people and their families can expect from a range of local agencies – including education, health and social care providers and voluntary organisations using the Bath and North East Somerset Local Offer website – the Rainbow Resource.