Health Visitors are qualified nurses or midwives with a specialist qualification in public health for children, young people and families. They work alongside families offering support and information around parenthood and early parenting, from pregnancy right through to when your child starts school. The service offers support for all parents of all children (0-5), whatever their circumstances.
General Health Visitor Enquiries, St Martin’s Hospital, Bath BA2 5RP
t: 01225 831 794
Chew Valley Health Visiting Team, Chew Valley Children’s Centre, Chew Lane, Chew Magna BS40 8QA
t: 01225 395 458
Parkside and Weston Health Visiting Team, Charlotte Street, Bath BA1 2NE
t: 01225 831 829
Keynsham Health Visiting Team, Keynsham Children’s Centre, 65 West View Road, Keynsham BS31 2UE
t: 0117 946 1076
St Martin’s Garden Health Visiting Team, Frome Road, Bath
t: 01225 831 844
Twerton & Moorland Health Visiting Team, Woodhouse Road, Twerton, Bath BA2 1SY
t: 01225 831 694
Somer Valley East Health Visiting Team, Greystones Building, Church Street, Radstock BA3 3QQ
t: 01225 395 371
Somer Valley West Health Visiting Team, Paulton Hospital, Paulton
t: 01761 408 358
More about us
We see all children (0-5 years) and their families who are residents in the Bath and North East Somerset area.
Some of the services you can expect to receive from your Health Visitor from birth through to when your child is 5 years old or enters school include:
- An invitation to an antenatal parent course called Hello Baby! This is a free course for parents expecting a baby, which runs over 3 sessions. It is a lovely way to meet other parents and members of your health visiting team and is a really friendly and relaxed course about becoming a parent
- A visit to your home while you are pregnant. This is a chance to meet your health visitor and discuss becoming a parent and the local support available for you
- A new birth visit. Your health visitor will arrange to visit you at home before your baby is 14 days old to support you with feeding and caring for your baby and adjusting to having a new family member
- Weekly baby & toddler hubs. Baby & toddler hubs are drop in sessions which have replaced baby clinics. They offer relaxed settings for families to meet and chat with Health Visitors and other parents and carers, without making an appointment
- Development reviews. These are a chance to discuss how things are going, how you are feeling and review with your health visitor the health and development of your baby or child. Development reviews take place at 6-8 weeks, 4 months, 12 months and 2 – 2.5 years
What can I talk to my Health Visitor about?
Health visitors are keen to hear your thoughts, feelings and experiences about being a parent – you can talk through any worries you may have. At the hubs you can also chat with other parents in a relaxed play environment for your baby. You can talk to your health visitor about anything which is on your mind, for example lots of parents seek support around:
- Infant feeding and introducing family foods
- Understanding your baby’s behaviour and how they are developing
- Adjusting to becoming a parent
- Family life and difficulties such as postnatal depression
- Healthy choices such as lifestyle, eating or immunisations
- Home safety, housing problems, domestic abuse or child abuse
We work with other professionals and practitioners to ensure you get additional expert help if you need it. We will also show you how you can take full advantage of the range of resources that are available to you locally so you can gain support within your own community. We also work closely with local Children’s Centres to promote family activities which help build a strong bond with your child. Children’s Centres offer a range of services, advice and support for parents and carers.
How do I access this service?
By phone: You can call you your Health Visiting team at any time during office hours. All teams have an answer machine where you can leave a message during times when nobody is available to take your call.
In person: You can drop into any of the baby & toddler hubs across Bath & North East Somerset.