Family Nurse Partnership (FNP)
The Family Nurse Partnership is a voluntary programme for young women who are expecting their first baby. Research shows that mums and dads who take part in this programme are more likely to achieve what they want for themselves and their children.
“I am a better parent from all the knowledge my family nurse has given me… I am more confident… I have made better choices with the family nurse’s guidance.”
This service is offered to young women who live in the Bath and North East Somerset area, who are expecting their first baby and are under 28 weeks pregnant at the time of enrolment.
St. Martin’s Hospital, Clara Cross Lane, Bath BA2 5RP
t: 01225 838 262
More about us
Family nurses are specially trained to help you as a young parent to understand all about your baby and how to care well for yourselves.
The Family Nurse Partnership team includes four family nurses, one supervisor and a quality support officer. We offer the Family Nurse Partnership programme as a universal service to first time parents under 18 years and have recently extended our offer to include 19-24 year olds who meet specific criteria.
We aim to engage with our clients before they are 28 weeks pregnant and ideally wish to start work with clients before they are 16 weeks pregnant. The programme includes the healthy child programme and offers support to parents until their child is 2 years old. The FNP goals are:
- to improve the outcomes of pregnancy by helping women to improve their prenatal health
- improve children’s subsequent health and development by enabling parents to provide more competent care for their children
- to improve women’s life course by planning subsequent pregnancies, finishing their education and finding employment.
FNP provide information and support for young parents to make choices that:
- Increase your chances of a healthy pregnancy
- Help to manage your labour
- Improve your child’s health and development
- Build a positive relationship with your baby and others
- Help you to plan for the future
- Enable you to make lifestyle choices that give your child the best possible start in life
- Enable you to achieve your aspirations (such as finding a job or returning to education)
Your Family Nurse will visit regularly, from early pregnancy to when your child is 2 years old. Visits are made at home and take approximately an hour.
How do I access this service?
Are you age 24 or under and pregnant with your first baby? If so, you may be entitled to FNP so please speak to your midwife or GP if you are interested in finding out more.